Monday 14 February 2011

5 useful items

Today I thought I would talk about products which are not essential but could be helpful for a Lolita. Sometimes when I am getting dressed up it can take me 2 hours. I am always looking for shortcuts and ways to keep me looking good throughout the day. I have also been trying to think of different uses for items. So here are a few products and how I would like to use them.



1. Dry Shampoo- I have been using dry shampoo for a couple of years now. It is very useful for when you don’t have time to properly wash your hair. Also, hair is usually easier to style when it has not been freshly washed and dry shampoo helps to make unwashed hair look less greasy but still a little bit easier to style. I find it is useful for when you want to do big hairstyles and it also adds a texture for messier styles. If you purchase a wig and think it looks too shiny then you could also use dry shampoo to give the wig a more matte appearance. Dry shampoo comes in different forms such as a powdery spray or mist. My advice would be to avoid powdery dry shampoo if you have dark hair. If you have dark hair then powdery dry shampoo can make it look like you have a flaky scalp. Some dry shampoos have been made especially for darker hair so shop around to see what you find. I use Batiste dry shampoo because it comes in a variety of nice scents.

2. Clear nail polish- clear nail polish is great for finishing off your nails and give a subtle glossy appearance. But it can also be used to temporarily repair ladders in tights. I would also use it on shoes which have a glossy finish. Shoes get scuffed and the shine goes so I would clean the area and add some clear nail polish so it looks less noticeable.




3. Sock glue- this is a product I am yet to try but I have seen it on some websites such as jbox.com and in some clothes stores. As much as I love over the knee socks, they can fall down very quickly and you don’t always want to wear tights either. According to reports, sock glue can help combat this problem. It could just be a gimmick but it might be worth a try. The alternative is to use lingerie such as suspender belts. They should be hidden away so nobody would need to know!

4. A Nude bra- a lot of people don’t seem to think about their underwear when wearing Lolita which is fine if you are not intending to take lots of photos. When using the flash on a camera, underwear can show if you are not wearing the correct colour. White bras can look luminous under black clothing and coloured bras show under white clothing. Even white bras could show up under a white blouse. The easiest way to avoid these problems is to buy a nude coloured bra which shouldn’t show up. Nude does not have to mean boring or old and if you have a look around it is possible to find a cute nude bra. Another good idea is to always double check you are wearing the correct bra size. Wearing the wrong size can give a lumpy appearance which does not do any favours for your silhouette even when you are wearing many layers.

5. Stickers- I have noticed a lot of people have been using stickers, especially for sweet and OTT sweet styles. I have a lot of admiration for Lolita sticker lovers. There is nothing particularly special about stickers but how you use them can make a huge impact. You can stick them pretty much anywhere you like so the only limit is your imagination. Face, hair (be careful if you stick these on your hair!), nails, on your clothes, accessories... the possibilities are endless. If you have a big sheet of stickers it can be fun to decorate letters or make some Lolita calling cards with stickers on them. You could put the same sticker next to your signature each time and people will instantly recognise you!

There are lots of other really useful items out there so someday I may extend this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...