Monday 18 June 2012

Grimoir of the Moonlight Forest by AatP

I am getting really behind with the print discussions! Today I will be discussing a new print by Alice and the Pirates called Grimoir of the Moonlight Forest. This series has 2 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, socks, a head bow, a headdress and a necklace.


This is JSK I. The bodice is very well fitted. This is quite understandable because on close inspection, it appears this has been designed to look a bit like a corset. I am a bit unsure about the curvy neckline and whilst the lace on the neckline is pretty, I am not sure it is really needed. The straps look very elasticated and gathered. Hopefully this means that it will suit different torso lengths well, although I dislike the overall look of the straps.


I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the bodice which seems a bit off. At a guess, I would say it is the spacing of the bodice. This picture shows that the dress is made to look as if there is a matching corset sat on top (I really hope I am making sense!). I do like how it makes the bodice looks less flat and the bow at the top of the "corset" part is a lovely shape. Yes, the bow looks as though it may be a bit floppy, but the way the material falls beautifully. I just hope it doesn't end up sagging too much! Back to my fears on the spacing, the bottom of the corset part is lined with lace, but this line of lace sits a bit below the waist. I wonder if it draws too much attention to this area and also whether it tricks the eye in to thinking the waist is wider. I also think the shape of the material above the corset part is a strange part. This is just me trying to guess what I think is off about it. All I really know is I dislike the bodice and I think it looks awkward.

The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The print seems to make the shirring blend in well. Despite the lace cutting across the top of the skirt, the overall skirt shape is a lovely subtle bell. It suits the style of print and it looks like it will still hold a decent amount of petticoat. Near the bottom, the skirt is broken up by a line of thin lace and then the material below it is slightly more gathered. This has been carried out well and the skirt shape is not too affected by it. The bottom hem is then finished off with some simple but good quality lace.


This is JSK II. The bodice is a really pretty shape. It does look as though there is a bit of a gap under the arms, but hopefully that is just the way the dress is sat on the dummy! I think the straps are just the right width for the style of the dress. At first glance, the bodice does look plain but this means they can add more detail to the skirt. And I feel this choice pays off. The 2 lines of lace which run down the bodice and continue down the skirt, give the effect that the dress is made of panels. I didn't think I would like this but actually, it looks fine.


The lace along the neckline is so decorative that I had to include a picture! The bottom part almost looks like 3D beads. It gives this edge of the lace an interesting shape. The roses blend in well to the middle and the lace looks like it is really nice quality. I really like this lace because it feels a bit special.

The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. In the stock photos, I thought that the skirt shape looked very straight and triangular. I think that with the right petticoat, it will look a lot better. It still works well for classic and gothic anyway.


 I adore the details on the bottom of this skirt! I am not normally a fan of scalloped edges, but it works well here. It is spaced nicely as well. I love how underneath there is some soft chiffon exposed. The bows are a pretty finishing touch. It is not exactly a brand new idea, but it works so well, especially with this kind of series. And if it worked so well before, why not use it again?


And here is the print close-up. It is available in ivory, bordeaux, navy and black. I am a huge navy fan normally, but my favourite colour here is the black. The black colour is so deep and it makes the print details really stand out. However, all 4 colours of the print work really well. I adore the picture frames! They are so decorative with all the rococo style swirls. The crosses are also decorated beautifully and match the frames well. The flowers are beautiful and add a much needed hint of bolder colour. I love the butterflies. They have been drawn so well! The words and circles in the background help to fill in the gaps, although these details are lost on the ivory print. They blend in so well that they are barely visible. But this has not put me off the ivory colourway because I think the print still works well! In some respects, this series feels like the Alice and the Pirates version of Baby's Fragrant Rose Memories. It is as if they have taken that print as a starting point and then made it in their own more gothic style. That is fine by me because I liked Fragrant Rose Memories!


I am looking for an excuse to buy the socks in black! I think this is the only colour of the socks I really like. The other 2 colours (off-white with sax blue roses and ivory with pink roses) almost look a bit too sweet for this series. I found the colour choices available to be a bit strange. I also feel the sock colours are a bit vibrant compared to the colours used on the dress print. However, I think the black ones are gorgeous! I am sure I would find a use for them.


The necklace is pretty, but I don't think it is anything special. I have to admit though, that it does match the series perfectly, and I appreciate the detail that has gone in to the frame part.

Overall, I really like this series. I have held off adding this to my wishlist for the moment, but it is a series I would be very happy to own. It is so beautiful. I would definitely go for the black, but the navy and ivory are so pretty too. I do like the bordeaux too, but not as much! For me, this series is all about JSK II because the design is stronger. It feels like that design has been thought out a lot better than JSK I, which I am not convinced about. I really want the black socks too. I reckon this series will be a hit with the die-hard AatP fans and I think it will be a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...