Wednesday 29 August 2012

Cinema Doll by Angelic Pretty

Today I will be taking a look at Cinema Doll by Angelic Pretty. And once again, I am so behind on everything that this series has already been released! This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, a cutsew, a cardigan, a head bow, a headdress, 2 pairs of socks and some accessories. So much stuff! You can tell that AP were expecting this series to be popular!


This is the OP. The bodice is a really good shape and nicely fitted. I also like how the black thin lines of lace running up the bodice are quite flattering for the figure. The sleeves are a pretty shape too. The slight puffiness is cute. The sleeve edges are decorated well with pretty pearl buttons, which are very fitting for the overall theme of the dress. I also like how all the details like lace etc. are done in black, as it really stands out, but at the same time it doesn't look cheap.


Here we can see a close-up of the chest. I think the overall shape of the area looks very grown up and suits the dress. I really love the wide lace running in an oval around the edge. Not only is this lace full of detail, it looks very retro, as if it has come right out of the 1920's or 1940's. The lace along the neckline is pretty and I like how it doesn't take away attention from the other lace. I am a little unsure about the velvet ribbon used for the tiny bow. Whilst it looks cute, I think it is very obvious that the texture of the fabric is different. I do like the polka dot tulle panel and the use of circle trim. I think the trim mimics jewellery such as beads, and so it ties in well with the print.


I dislike the way the back has been done on this dress. I don't think the way the ribbon has been used really adds anything to the design. In fact, it looks a bit awkward. Also, when you tighten the ribbon, it makes the back look very weird. The dress material sort of clumps together strangely, as seen below the ribbon and lace part in the photo. Perhaps the ribbon should have been left off of this design or even better, a panel of shirring with a ribbon corset to make adjusting the size a lot easier.

The skirt has that typical full AP shape to it. It is brilliant for holding a lot of petticoat underneath and creating a really flared out look. I think this pretty fuller shape is especially good for the theme of the dress. If I was wearing this dress, I would wear as much petticoat as possible! The skirt is clutter free and so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished off with more polka dot tulle. I think the lace used on the bottom of the JSK is nicer, but I also think it is good to tie in with the tulle used on the chest of this dress.


This is the JSK. The bodice is very well fitted. The waist area looks so small and that just emphasises the skirt area more, which I think gives the whole dress a lovely shape. The straps are a bit thin, but I don't think this style of dress would suit bulkier straps. I like how the thin lace used up the bodice gives the dress a defined panel sort of look. This is also used along the straps and helps to tie everything together. I love the waist bow because the solid colour suits the rest of the dress. It is also a good size and shape for the dress.


The chest on this dress is laid out in a similar way to the OP. Although I have just noticed that the lace around the edge is in the shape of a smiley face! Cannot unsee! I think the lace used has a messier appearance compared to the OP and it looks too fussy. I do however, like the way that there are pearls attached to the soft tulle panel. It is like a 3D version of the quilted part of the print (see the print picture below). I also think the bow dotted with pearls is cuter than the velvet one on the OP. I actually quite like the bodice area of the JSK, but if I am being honest I think the dress design could have easily worked without the lace and tulle panel part.

The back of the JSK is thankfully a bit more traditional design-wise. It has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon is velvet and black, so it does stand out, but it matches the contrasting black details used throughout the dress. The skirt shape is again rounded and full. I actually think the JSK skirt shape looks a bit better than the OP. The skirt will hold lots of petticoat. Once again, I think it would be really awesome to use lots of petticoats to really puff the dress out. The skirt is clutter free and the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished with some really gorgeous bow themed lace.


And here we can see the print and what colours it comes in. I am having real trouble deciding which colour I like best. I feel the ivory suits the retro theme the best, but at the same time the pink and lavender work so well with the print. But the black (which I think is more grey) is a more unusual colour option for lolita. So for now, I will just say that I like all 4 colours! A lot of people have compared this print to Fantastic Dolly and I can see where they are coming from. The themes in the print are not new, but for some reason this print still feels fresh and exciting. I admire how much detail has gone in to drawing the lace. The items in the print have also been drawn beautifully. I really love the perfume bottle and the cat is so cute! I also love the main part of the print with its pearls and quilted appearance. It is a really interesting choice.


I am absolutely loving this pair of socks. Whilst the other pair of socks for this series are very cute, I think that they are a bit more 'standard lolita' looking. Whereas these socks are a bit more different than usual. I think they have a wonderful retro feel, but I also think they are a bit more mature looking. This length of the socks is not to everybody's taste but I would be more than willing to give these a fair chance. I like them because they are bold and stand out.

So overall, I think this is a very strong series. I can understand why it is so popular. It is very close, but I think I would choose the JSK over the OP. I do however, think the front of the bodice on the OP looks better than that on the JSK. I still can't decide which colour I would go for though! I have to confess that I actually like Cinema Doll a lot more than Fantastic Dolly. I think Cinema Doll has the potential to reach a similar level of popularity. Why do I like Cinema Doll more? I guess it is because of the choice of colours and the more mature look. I don't normally go for retro prints but I wouldn't mind owning this series.

4 comments:

  1. Looks a lot like BtSSB's Alice Through The Looking Glass of Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I see what you mean what with both having the circles. Although I think I prefer Cinema Doll :)

      Delete
  2. Love love this print! I ordered the grey jsk through an ss. I got the grey because as you stated its really unusual for lolita. but i think the print as well as color of grey is a good choice for a more classic grown up look. I love that smiley face lace comment, that will surely stick with me. I love the striped socks to, I overlooked them until someone pointed them out. I got the otks and the stripe socks. So I can either do a sweet look or classic. I love that this dress will be easier to accesorrize with more everyday things, like pearls, a sheer black blouse, black shoes etc...
    I love the blouse from this series to but I am a bit too wide to wear it.
    What sold me on this print was the pintuck cushion detail. Was a lovely subtle detail & another reason to get the grey because it stands out a lot.
    Sorry I wrote a novel. Thanks again for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I think the grey colour way is very interesting and I agree it looks very grown up. I agree- it will be very easy to pick accessories to go with this series. Most people probably have something already in their jewellery box that could work with it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...