Monday 29 October 2012

Toy March by Angelic Pretty

Today I will be taking a look at Toy march by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a salopette, a head bow, a mini hat, socks, a blouse, a parka and accessories. 


This is the OP. The bodice looks like it fits well and I do like the overall shape. I think the sleeve shape suits the dress. They are slightly puffy but not too OTT. I really like how the sleeves are striped like this, because it continues the circus theme of the print. It also compliments the matching waist bow as well. I really like the waist bow on this dress as I think the size suits the dress, without looking too big. It also has a really firm, solid shape to it. It sits on the dress perfectly and doesn't droop at all.


I am a fan of military style details in lolita and this is no exception. I love the square of gold braid. I love the buttons with the emblems on them and I think they are spaced out well. However, I am a little undecided about the trim used along the neckline. Whilst it does fit the theme, I think it looks a bit messy, especially with the top button getting in the way of it. Below the braid part, there is also a criss-crossed ribbon. This does look very pretty, but I don't think it really adds anything to the dress. I don't think it really needs to be there.

The back has a panel of shirring, which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon and the lace along the edge of the shirring panel keeps the area tidy. The skirt has a beautiful flared shape to it. It is very rounded and full. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat underneath. The skirt is free of cluttering details and the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished off tidily with some typical, good quality AP lace.


This is the JSK. The bodice is very shapely and well fitted. Initially, I wasn't keen on the heart shaped neckline, as I felt it was too cutesy teamed up with the military detailing on the bodice. But the design has since grown on me a bit. I love the detailing on the bodice. It has been set out so well and the spacing is good too. The waist bow is small and I think it suits the dress as it is not too distracting. If it was any bigger, I think it wouldn't look right. The use of velveteen and braiding works brilliantly. I think it adds a bit of a luxurious feel to things. The buttons are pretty as well. My only dislike with the bodice detailing is the 2 lines of gold rick-rack running up either side of the bodice. Thankfully, they don't grab the attention too much. The straps are a good width for this style of dress. The use of velveteen and buttons at the bottom of the straps helps to ensure they match the bodice well. The back has a panel of shirring, which is concealed well by a ribbon corset. The edges of the panel have more of the gold rick-rack trim, but I suppose it is not that noticeable. The skirt has a full and flared shape to it. It flares out beautifully and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt is kept free of details and the print is displayed really well. The bottom hem is finished off with the same good quality lace.


And here is the print. As you can see the print comes in ivory, wine, green and blue. I love the range of deep colours available. The green is a nice addition and the deep blue is gorgeous. However, I think my favourite colour is the wine, as I like the combination of the deep red with the pink. The ivory is pretty too, but I don't think it works as well as the bolder colours do. As for the print itself, I love bits of it but dislike other bits. I especially love the use of hot air balloons (now there is something I would like to see more of in lolita!) and I think they are decorated beautifully. The musical instruments look pretty too. I am not as keen on the cute animals. That squirrel has a creepy look in his eyes... I do like the pony though. The animals are drawn well, it just doesn't appeal to my personal tastes. I really like the diamond background. The tassels at the bottom are cute too. I suppose I am glad the tassels are in the print instead of AP using a tassel trim on the bottom hem or something. I do like tassels, but sometimes they just don't look right, or remind me of curtains!


I did say on Facebook that if AP released a military style jacket for this series, I would totally buy it. Well, there is no jacket for this series, but they did release this parka. The trouble is, I am not too keen on it! I think my issue with the parka is that it is simply too casual. Parkas tend to be softer and more slouchy than jackets. This parka just doesn't have that stiff, crisp military look to it. I am also not too keen on how the details on the front are laid out. I am sure it is very comfortable to wear, but it is not for me. 

So overall, it is a good series and it will probably sell quickly. It reminds me of Starry Night Theatre (a print I love and own) but strangely, I don't see this as a series I would go out of my way to own. It wont be going on my wishlist. If I did get this series, I would go for the JSK in wine. Although it was close, because I do feel drawn to the OP. I like the sleeve design. However I will be keeping an eye out for any more accessories that come out, as I think they could have a lot of potential. I am already eyeing up the blouse from this series. So I do like the series, but I don't think it is my kind of thing.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! love the print<3 so cute :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute. I don't like the squirrel though...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree. I probably wouldn't buy this myself though :)

      Delete
  3. It's cute, but it looks sort of busy for me! I do like the print tho!

    http://strawbewie-ba-na-na.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is the sort of print which is asking to be worn OTT!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...