Thursday 7 March 2013

Icing Dancing Cake by BABY

Today I will be taking a look at Icing Dancing Cake by Baby the Stars Shine Bright. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, 5 different hair accessories, socks, a necklace and a ring.


This is the Cream JSK. The bodice is a pretty shape and well fitted. The straps are a little on the wide side, but at least look very supportive. The straps are lined neatly with thin lace, which finished them off nicely. 


One of the things I am unsure about is the number of bows on the bodice. The ribbon bows are very cute and a good shape. They are a bit on the shiny side but this is just a minor issue. However, I don't think 4 bows are really necessary. I would have been happy to just have the 2 bows at the base of the straps. I don't think it would affect the dress design too much to remove the other 2 bows. I do like the yoke, although the straight edges look a bit harsh. The ribbon around the edge of the yoke at least ties in with the bow material. The tulle inside the yoke looks very pretty and gives it a soft appearance. The neckline is lined neatly with lace. I don't think the lace is the prettiest, but it looks okay.

The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed very neatly by a ribbon corset. It looks very neat and tody. The skirt has a pretty rounded shape to it. It flares out well and looks good teamed with the very fitted looking waist. It is very full looking and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of thin lace and also some tulle. I like how soft the tulle looks and how it ties in with the tulle on the bodice.


This is the Sugar JSK. I thought the bodice material looked a bit baggy in places. The shape is also quite basic. The straps are a bit thin too and I would have preferred them to be just a tiny bit wider. The straps are at least lined with lace on the outside, so they don't look too plain. There is a waist bow. I think that the bow is a bit big. If the bow didn't have lace along the edges it would probably be about the right kind of size. However, the waist bow lace does tie in with the lace on the rest of the dress, so maybe I would have just preferred much thinner lace on the waist bow. I don't think the bow is the most attractive shape but at least it looks fairly sturdy. So hopefully it wont droop too much.


The neckline has 2 layered lines of wide lace. Whilst I think the design is pretty I am unsure if I like the lace used. I think softer lace could have looked very pretty here. The neckline is topped with a ribbon bow. I don't think the bow is really needed here and if there had to be a bow, I would have made it smaller. There is a pretty Baby logo charm dangling from the bow, which adds a nice finishing touch.

The back has a panel of shirring running the whole way across the back. It is left very open and exposed. I don't think it looks very attractive but at least it offers a lot of size flexibility for bigger lolitas. The skirt shape is again very full and rounded. It flares out beautifully and will hold a lot of petticoat. The skirt is clutter free and the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is then finished off with some good quality lace.


And this is what the print looks like. This print is available in ivory, pink, sax blue, brown and black. I think my favourite option is the sax blue because it looks very cute. But to be honest, I am not really fussed by this print at all. I think the woven looking part, which is a huge part of the print, looks very strange. I also feel that there are things in the print that look a bit random when teamed together. I don't quite get how everything is supposed to work together as a print. On a more positive note, I think the macarons are very cute and at least everything has been drawn quite well. Overall though, I am not finding it very appealing.


I can't help but think that the bonnet looks a bit strange in the stock photos. It looks huge! I really hope it looks better when worn on an actual person.

So overall I do think the dress designs are okay, but the print is not my style at all. I find it very hard to get excited about any of the items in the series. I suppose if I had to pick something I would go for the Cream JSK in sax blue. But I wouldn't buy from this series. I suppose this may appeal to those who like their sweet lolita a bit more subtle but I will be giving this a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...