Thursday 13 June 2013

Clockwork Aristo Kitty by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am taking a look at Clockwork Aristo Kitty by AatP. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, a bag, socks, wrist cuffs, a head bow and a cat ear beret.



This is JSK I. The bodice looks like it fits well and is an interesting shape. The straps are a good width for the dress too. The inside of the straps are lined with lace, but the outside edge is kept plain. But I do think having the hard edge on the outside works with the military theme and perhaps lace would have looked too soft. The waist bow is a pretty shape and sits nicely on the dress. The bow is too big, although the print helps to blend it in a little bit, so it doesn't stand out as much. I think the dress could easily work without the bow there, and it is thankfully detachable. I really love the military detailing on the bodice. The braiding is pretty and spaced out well. The braid is topped with buttons. The buttons have a crown picture on them, which works really nicely. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed very neatly by a ribbon corset. The skirt flares out well and is very full looking. It has a lot of volume to it but without being too sweet looking. The skirt has no real cluttering details to it and so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with thin lace, which has beautiful detail to it but without betraying the military styling.


This is JSK II. The bodice looks well fitted and is a fairly nice shape. The straps are a good width and suit the style of dress. The waist area has been kept plain and it looks very shapely. Whilst I don't dislike the pleated line running across the bodice, I think the placement is a bit off. It cuts right across the chest area and may sit awkwardly on some wearers. Also, it seems odd to have that tiny bit of the checked fabric above it. Maybe if it was placed where the polka dot material ends or along the neckline it would possibly look better? The use of the polka dot part of the print at the top of the bodice makes more of a feature out of it and so, it matches the bottom of the dress well. However, I am unsure I like it as the polka dots look a bit too cute compared to the rest of the dress. The neckline is finished with a simple ribbon bow, which is a good size and has a nice shape. I think the bow may also be a bit too cute though. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset, so looks neat and tidy. The skirt flares out well. in some of the stock photos the skirt part appears very rounded which again, makes this JSK very sweet in comparison to the other JSK. Whilst this dress will hold a decent amount of petticoat and the wearer will get a good shape out of it, I think I prefer the more classical, less sweet styling of the other dress. The skirt is kept free of cluttering details and the print is displayed reasonably well. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of pleats, which at least matches up with the pleats on the bodice.


And here is part of the print close-up. The print is available in green, dark red, navy and black. The green and dark red versions are very bold and I think they look amazing with the print. The black version as well looks quite striking. I am not entirely convinced by the navy though, and I think it is the weakest colour option. My absolute favourite has to be the dark red, as I love how it has been teamed with the tea colour. As for the print, I am liking the use of the clock's gears in the print. It gives a very subtle steampunk feel. I also like the clocks with the decorated faces. The border of the clock gives it a rusty, old appearance. The bold check background works brilliantly with the print. The cats add a slight hint of cute and I like the way are positioned, playing among the gears. The only thing I dislike is the way the AatP name has been included as it is very blocky looking and doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the print. Overall though, I think it is a really interesting print.

So overall, I think this series does have potential. For me, JSK I is by far my favourite out of the 2 dresses. I think the bold military styling works nicely with the print. JSK II is a bit too cute in my opinion. If I had to buy from this series I would definitely go for JSK I in dark red. Would I buy it? Possibly. It is not my normal sort of style but sometimes different is good. It wont be going on my wishlist but that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy owning it. 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...