Monday 2 June 2014

Collection Douce Chocolatier by Baby the Stars Shine Bright

Today I am looking at Collection Douce Chocolatier by Baby the Stars Shine Bright. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a head bow, a bag, socks and many items of jewellery.


First up is the Truffe de Lait JSK. The bodice seems fairly well fitted. The bodice shape is simple but cute. I think the straps are a very suitable width for this dress and look very sturdy. They are also very neatly lined with thin lace, which stops them looking too plain but also doesn't add too much bulk to them. The bodice has a ribbon corset running down the front. I think the ribbon is spaced out very well, without looking too bunched together. The sides of the ribbon are concealed by cute heart shaped lace as well, so the end result is very neat and tidy. The ribbon used doesn't look shiny either, which is a bonus. The neckline is finished off with good quality lace and then topped with a very detailed ribbon design. The ribbon bow on the neckline is a bit big but doesn't look too OTT on this dress. I would have preferred it to be slightly smaller though. The same matte ribbon is used for the bow, but this time some shinier polka dot ribbon has been laid over the top. I personally am not a fan of the polka dot ribbon and would have preferred just the solid coloured ribbon. I don't feel there are enough polka dots elsewhere on the dress to justify its inclusion. The bow shape is very cute though and I like how the neckline has a line of folded over ribbon to finish it off. The folds in the ribbon give the ribbon some extra movement and make it look a bit less flat. The only thing I dislike about it is the way the ribbon abruptly ends at the sides of the dress. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt has plenty of volume and it should flare outwards quite nicely. The skirt has a good length to it as well. It will be able to hold a very good amount of petticoat underneath. The subtle roundness of the skirt is cute too. The skirt design is kept quite simple and so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished off with a line of ribbon and some pretty lace that Baby uses quite a lot. The ribbon at the bottom helps to tie in with the ribbon on the bodice as well, making the dress appear more balanced.


This is the Praline JSK. The bodice looks well fitted. Although I generally like the bodice shape, I dislike the way the dress is shaped around the underarms. The straps are a bit on the thin side and I think they could do with being just the slightest bit thicker. The straps are lined with lace on the outside which gives the straps a cuter, softer appearance. The waist bow is a bit of a peculiar shape. I think the shape of the bow gives the illusion that the bow is drooping. The lace on the waist bow looks a bit fussy and I dislike that floral shaped lace has been used when flowers barely feature in the series. The way the bow sits on the dress is also a bit weird. To be honest, I feel the dress design would be strong enough to work without a waist bow there at all. Thankfully, the waist bow is detachable and that is what I would do if I got this dress. The top of the bodice has a weird panel, which is lined with lace. I don't think the panel is really the right shape. The neckline is finished off with floral looking lace and again, the lace is pretty but I'm not sure this is the right lace choice for this particular dress. However, I do like the solid coloured bow that tops the neckline. The shape is simple, but cute. It also sits very well on the dress. The back is fully shirred and so that means that there is no ribbon corset to conceal it, but because of the style of print I think the shirring doesn't stand out as much anyway. The stock photos show the skirt is very full with plenty of volume. The wearer will be able to create a very cute shape. I love the full, rounded bell shape. The skirt is again kept simple and the print is displayed wonderfully. The bottom hem is then finished off with some good quality lace.


And finally, here we have the print close up. This series is available in pink/red, mint/pink, sax blue/navy and beige/blue-green. What I love about this series is the colour choices available. It is a bit different from the standard chocolate print colours we are used to seeing. The colours almost have that Emily Temple Cute feel to them but with lolita dress designs instead of ETC's more otome dresses. Surprisingly, I think my favourite colour is the beige/blue-green, which is not a colour I would usually go for. As for the print itself, it also has an ETC feel to it. I love the alternation of big, bold ribbons and chocolates. The chocolates are drawn well. I like the glossy texture and detailing on the chocolates. I am getting hungry just looking at them! I like how there is plenty of variety with the chocolates as well. The print doesn't feel too repetitive. The only thing I am a little unsure on is the random ice creams floating around. The stripy background gives the print a classy finish.

Whilst this is not usually the sort of series I would go for, I am quite impressed with the print. I feel the Truffe de Lait JSK design is the stronger of the two JSKs but with the waist bow detached, I would probably chose the Praline JSK. My favourite colour keeps changing every time I look at this series but I think I would go for either the sax blue/navy or the beige/blue-green. I think it is great to see a chocolate print teamed with such interesting colours. Would I buy this series? Probably not, but I do think it is very cute. I would like to see more chocolate prints in this sort of style in the future. It makes a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...