Monday 21 July 2014

Lucienne Dream by Angelic Pretty

Today I will be taking a look at Lucienne Dream by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, 2 hair accessories, socks and a pair of gloves.


This is the OP. The bodice is seemingly well fitted, although I find some of the bodice shapes a bit weird, as if they could have been done a bit better. The main part of the bodice is a bit too square and block-looking. The heart shaped neckline is cute though. I think the sleeves could do with being a slight bit shorter and with a bit more puff to them. The sleeve design is also very basic looking. There is a waist bow, which is a bit big. It looks okay, but I think if it had been a bit smaller it would have looked better. The bow shape is cute though and looks very perky. It sits brilliantly on the dress.


The bodice is made up of different panels. The main part of the bodice is solid coloured and it seems to work better on some colour ways than others. I feel the pink and black versions work a bit better than the other 2. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the solid colour just doesn't feel quite right with the other 2 colours. The main bodice part is finished off with a nice heart shaped neckline, which is topped off with a thin line of gold lace. The gold lace has been used neatly and it matches up well with the use of gold on the skirt. There are also solid coloured "straps" which give the illusion of this dress being a JSK. The straps are gathered and have a nice amount of texture, with a cute shape too. However, they do make the shoulder area look wider too. There is then a sheer tulle panel, which meets the solid coloured neck ruffle. I feel the bodice maybe has too many different materials going on here. The neck ruffle is very cute though. I think the pleats have been done very neatly and the lace blends in perfectly. The neck area is finished off with a cute small bow. Keeping everything the same colour here helps to keep it neat.

The back is kept plain and there is no shirring. The stock photos show that the skirt has plenty of volume and flares outwards beautifully. It has a wonderful full, rounded bell shape to it. It will hold plenty of petticoat underneath. Aside from the lace, which is paired with the print anyway, the skirt is kept simple in design. So the print design is displayed really well. The bottom hem is finished off with a neat line of pleats, which matches up well with the neck ruffle.


This is the JSK. The bodice looks a bit lumpy in some of the photos and the bodice shape is quite simple and maybe a bit boring. It looks very square, with lots of straight lines. The straps are a good width. AP maybe could have gotten away with making them a bit thinner. The strap design is very interesting though. They have a line of pleats, which gives it an interesting texture and also gives them a bit more depth. The lace used on the straps is of a good quality, but I don't think I would have bothered with it. The straps would have looked just fine with just the pleats. The waist bow is again a bit on the big side. It does have a good shape and sits nicely on the dress though. The bodice features a ribbon corset design. The ribbon is threaded using gold eyelets, which are generally well concealed by the ribbon anyway. I think the eyelets are a good, reliable way of attaching the ribbon without being too flimsy. The ribbon has been spaced out well and doesn't look too bunched together. The ribbon appears to be of a good quality too, and only has a slight sheen to it. Either side of the ribbon corset, there are multiple lines of lace running up the bodice. I like the design and I am glad AP used thin lace, as wider lace would not have suited this design. It does line up weirdly with the strap lace though and again, I do feel it would have been better if they hadn't used lace at all on the straps. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed well by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt is full and has plenty of volume. It flares out really well and creates a lovely bell shape. The skirt design is again kept simple, apart from the lace used as part of the print, so the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished off with pretty crown themed lace. I do feel though, that a line of solid coloured pleats could have looked a bit better. 

And there isn't a print close up available for this series! This series is available in pink, blue, brown and black. I have found that for the OP I prefer the pink, but for the JSK I like the brown version the best. The black is a standard colour, although I feel it looks a bit harsh. I am not a fan of the blue at all, as I feel the shade of blue they used is far too dark. As I mentioned above, the skirts feature lace, which very cleverly make the chain for the bird cages. It is a really lovely idea and I think it works well. And as for the printed bird cages, they have been drawn so beautifully. I really love the cage designs. However, I am finding it difficult to really fall in love with these series. I think the reason for that is I think the bird cages in the print are placed too close together. They need to be spread out a bit more, or maybe the lace and bows used for the chains need to be thinner. Something about how they have been placed just feels a little odd. 


I also find this cage hair accessory a bit questionable. Something about the pearl bead design just feels a bit cheap. I also feel that the pearls do not match up that great with the print. Also, this headdress looks a bit messy and wonky. The bow at the top could also do with being a bit smaller. There is just something about the overall look of this piece that looks really off.

So overall, I think this series has some good ideas but I am not that impressed by the final result. It is a shame, because I do think the bird cages have been drawn so well. I don't think all the colours work together and some parts of the dress designs are a bit weak. So I wont be buying anything from this series. if I had to though, I would pick the JSK in brown. I think the print works best with the more muted colours. It is a shame, as I feel this series could have had a lot more potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...