Monday 25 January 2016

Twinkle Sky by Angelic Pretty

Today's print is Twinkle Sky by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, 2 head bows, tights and a parasol.




This is the OP. Firstly, I would like to say that I am not that fond of the choice of fabric throughout this series. The main dress fabric looks super shiny and maybe even gives off the impression of being a bit cheap. Also, it looks like the sort of fabric that would wrinkle easily. Back to the OP, the bodice seems well fitted, although I feel the shape is a bit basic. The length of the sleeves seems decent. I think the arms have a good amount of puff to them, but the cuff part could have been shorter. Maybe the wrist area could have just been gathered and then had some lace instead of the large cuffs. There is just something about the cuff shape which doesn't seem to look cute enough for this particular dress, in my opinion. There is a waist bow, which is a cute shape and size, but is made of very shiny ribbon. It sits nicely on the dress too. This bow is detachable but to be honest, the dress is already so shiny that I don't feel a shiny waist bow is really going to hurt at this point, so I would leave it attached. The bodice details are really neatly set out. I like the pleats, as they give the bodice a bit of extra texture and depth. The ribbon corset in the middle is nicely spaced out and I like the thin lines of gold lace too, as the colour of the lace helps to break up the bodice. My least favourite bit of the bodice is the collar. Usually, this would be a really pretty collar, but I don't think it works on this specific dress. I think the shiny fabric used is partly responsible, but I also feel a round collar shape would have looked cuter than a square shaped collar here. On a more positive note, I like the use of gold lace on the collar and the lace lining the collar is pretty too. The back of the dress offers no shirring, so size flexibility is pretty limited. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full with plenty of volume. The skirt flares out well and I love the rounded shape. There is more than enough room for petticoat underneath this skirt. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed really well (if you can even see the print). The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of AP logo lace, which is layered over a chiffon ruffle. Although the lace does feature stars, I was a bit surprised that AP didn't go for a more obvious star themed lace. Despite the lace and chiffon ruffle being layered well on top of each other, I don't really feel the chiffon ruffle is needed either.




Here we have the JSK. The bodice looks well fitted, but the shape of the bodice looks really plain. I dislike the really straight neckline and think something a bit more heart shaped would have been more flattering. Even the thin line of lace along the neckline does nothing to soften the harsh shape. The straps are quite thin, and don't look that supportive, but I don't think wider straps would have suited this style of dress. I like that the straps are lined with lace on the outsides, but I am not overly wowed by the choice of lace used here. The lace is of a good quality, I just don't like its appearance and I don't feel it suits this dress. There is a waist bow, which is once again super shiny, but everything about this series seems to be shiny. The shape of the bow is cute and I don't even mind the long tails going down the skirt like that. It sits nicely on the dress too. The bodice details are pretty much identical to those on the OP, and they are set out in the exact same neat way. Everything is nicely spaced out and well balanced. The back is fully shirred, so there is lots of size flexibility, but it isn't too attractive to look at. The stock photos show that the skirt has loads of volume and it flares out a lot too. My only concern is that it looks as though the ruffles at the bottom are giving the skirt a bit of an odd shape at the bottom. Hopefully it looks better in person than it does in the stock photos. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with a very thin line of lace and 2 ruffles. I feel very undecided about whether I like the way the ruffles have been done or not.




And here we can see what the print looks like. This series comes in ivory, blue, wine, navy blue and black. They are mostly pretty standard choices for a starry themed print, although the wine colour is a bit unusual. I can't decide if I like that colour or not. I would be more inclined to play it safe with one of the blues or the black version. As for the print itself, there isn't really anything amazing about it. The constellations are good, but they look very basic. This print just looks like a poor version of AP's Cosmic print, which at least had writing and moons on it to make it more interesting. The grid on this print does not really add anything to the design either, and just gives the print a tiled appearance. But I think the worst thing about this print is that you can't even see it that clearly in the first place. If you look at any picture of this series online, the print is barely visible. It makes me wonder, what is the point?

I am struggling to find anything really positive to say about this series. As far as I am concerned, the print is awful and the choice of fabrics for the dresses is terrible too. The dress designs are underwhelming too. So I think it is safe to say that I will not be buying this series. If you want a decent constellation print, go for Cosmic. If I absolutely had to choose a dress, I would go for the JSK in navy. However, I do think the parasol released as part of this series was pretty decent looking, so that is something worth checking out. As for the rest of this series, something tells me it will be lingering on AP's website for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...