Monday 26 June 2017

Sweet Bakery by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Sweet Bakery by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a mini skirt, a head bow and socks. There are also several complimenting items which have been released at the same time.




First is the OP. Here we see yet another sack dress, so there isn't really a defined bodice to this dress. The sleeves seem a decent looking length. The cuffs are finished off neatly with a line of cute lace. I like that they have been kept quite simple. The ''bodice'' is taken up by a massive bib and a collar. These details are far too big. Not only does it make the shoulder area look wide, but I also think this exaggerated bib with this shape of dress (and please don't hate me for saying this) looks a bit... childish. If both the bib and collar had been a bit smaller, it would be pretty decent looking. The bib has some really neat pleats and some neatly spaced out buttons, which have a lovely design. There is also some good quality polka dot lace lining both the bib and the collar, which sits neatly on the dress. These are finished off with a small bow at the base of the bib and a larger bow on the collar. Although the ribbon used is shiny, I like the stripy ribbon choice. I also think these bows are a decent shape and size. The stripy bow is detachable, but I think I would leave it on, as it is a lovely finishing touch to the collar. If it was me, I would have just had the collar and not bothered with the bib at all. I personally think that if the collar was a little smaller, it would have worked really well on the dress just on its own. The back offers no shirring, which given the lack of bodice is not that surprising. The stock photos show that the skirt has a lot of volume. Hopefully there is enough room for the wearer to create a shape they like, but as readers probably know, I am not a fan of sack dresses and I think they only suit a select few. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed wonderfully. The bottom hem is then finished off with a tidy line of AP logo themed lace.




This is the JSK. Unfortunately this dress is also quite shapeless, although the JSK has a bit more of a 'bodice' than the OP. What there is of a bodice seems well fitted, although I don't think this dress cut is going to suit somebody with a larger bust. The straps are an okay width. They have been loosely gathered, giving them a ruffly appearance, and then lined with lace on the outsides. I actually think these strap details look really cute. The bodice features a solid coloured panel which takes up all of the front of the bodice. It has been broken up with some pleats and lace, which stops it from looking too flat and plain. There are also 2 buttons in the middle, just beneath the bow. The bow is again shiny, but a decent size and nice enough shape. This bow is detachable, but I would leave it on. I was initially a bit skeptical of the solid coloured bodice, but I think it matches the line of white that appears at the bottom of the print quite well. The thing that I dislike about the bodice is the way that lace has been used to line the neckline and waistline. I think it sticks out weirdly and makes the area look too fussy. If the lace was reined in a bit, I think it could have been a bit better. As this is another sack style dress, there is again no dedicated shirring. The stock photos show that the skirt seems to have a lot of volume and it flares out quite a bit. I still think it is going to be difficult to create a cute shape with such a lifeless looking sack, but feel free to prove me wrong! The skirt is again kept simple, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of the AP logo lace.




Finally, here is the print. This series comes in ivory, pink, sax blue and black. Some of the colour choices were a bit of a surprise to me. They chose sax blue and black over mint and brown, which I think would have been more obvious choices. But sometimes it pays to try something a little different. I haven't been a fan of patisserie style prints on sax blue before but in this instance, I actually think the sax blue is the best colourway. I personally find the sax blue quite striking. As for the print itself, it is very neatly set out. It sort of has a slight otome/ETC vibe to it. The pastries are drawn so well. They look very inviting and there is a good selection of different styles of pastries. But despite the difference between the pastries, they all have similar strawberry themes. So the pastries really compliment each other, but at the same time look different enough from each other to keep the print looking interesting. However, this print does have a similar look to previous AP bakery themed prints and it looks strikingly similar to a Taobao print that was released last year (I forgot the name of the brand and print though). If I am being completely honest, if I didn't know this was an Angelic Pretty series I would have assumed it was Taobao. 

So overall, the print is lovely but not overly original. I am also disappointed that both dress cuts look so shapeless. If AP insist on doing these sack-like cuts, it would have been nice to have at least one dress cut which offers something a bit different. The skirt is too short for anything other than casual wear too. So this series is a big no-no to me. If I absolutely had to pick a dress, it would be the JSK in sax blue. But to be honest, I would rather wear the skirt. I think there are similar AP series which I would prioritise over this series. This series was featured in the recent lookbook AP put out, and I was equally underwhelmed by it there. Such a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...